New medical research shows that, in a one-mile footrace, a kid today would finish a minute and a half behind a typical child from 1975. This could correlate to the high obesity rate of current times as compared to that of four decades ago, but what else is to blame? Children need to be exposed to a more physical lifestyle. While everyone deserves to enjoy the positives of technology, limits need to be set.
It’s now time for caregivers and parents to go beyond curtailing T.V. watching. One way to transition from technology play to outdoor play is to partake in physical activity, join in! Here are a few ideas to bring playtime back in a healthy way:
- Ready, get set, go! Challenge your charge to a race. The first one to the corner gets to choose dinner from a healthy menu of choices.
- Goal! Set up the soccer net in the backyard and invite the neighborhood kids over for a game. Create a tournament for ongoing play.
- Push the pedal! Go for a bike ride before the sun goes down.
- Tag, you’re it! Head out to the yard for a game of tag. The more the merrier.
- Shake it! Zumba is a dance craze that also serves as an intense cardio workout.
These are just a few suggestions that allow for kids to get up, get out, and have fun. They also allow for parents and caregivers to get involved. Let’s start playing again!