- Stock up on materials that can be used in more than one way. This helps develop problem solving, spacial awareness, and imagination.
- These are projects where the kids are not competing against one another but working together towards a common goal.
Physical Space Ideas
- Create corners or other room areas that can be blocked off as a safe place for older kids to play.
- Plastic baby pools or bright colored towels/blankets are great for showing kids where a safe place for the baby to play is.
- Sensory play
- Imaginary play
- Water play
- Contact paper stained glass windows
- Outdoor play
- If stringing beads: give toddlers a pipe cleaner while older kids use thread.
- If painting: give older kids brushes while younger kids use bath scrunchies, hands, to chunky stamps.
Excerpt from: Nannypalooza presentation by Sue Downey